Monday, April 21, 2008

Lawnless

I took out my front lawns last week and put in indigenous plants and shrubs. Never mind the cost, what has taken me aback is the psychological toll. I don't think I realized how psychologically consoling a large green expanse is. And how jarring a desert scape is. Some popular writers in evolutionary psychology have suggested that we feel at home in savannah-like settings because that is where we evolved. And it is true that I like meadows as much as lawns. But it seems like an hypothesis that is hard to pin down empirically. Still for a start one could ask if it is just me who is consoled by meadows and lawns or everyone. Perhaps desert dwellers are consoled by deserts. And perhaps, looking out at my desert-scape, familiarty will breed calm in me ..... after a while.

No comments: